Friday, May 25, 2012

Strong storms cross Montreal

Awesome storm photo from Ottawa this evening. Photo by @MSC_63 via The Weather Network.
ALL WEATHER WARNINGS HAVE NOW ENDED FOR MONTREAL AND POINTS WEST.

A fierce line of thunderstorms has crossed the Ottawa Valley and southern Quebec and is now affecting the south shore and points east. A tornado warning was issued for Montreal and surrounding regions after two separate storm cells showed signs of rotation. I observed both storms as long as daylight would allow me and saw no rotation. As best I can tell the strongest portion of the storms passed very close to my location here on L'Ile Perrot. Winds gusted to over 30km/h at my home and up to 55km/h at the airport. They may have been higher here on L'Ile Perrot but data is only sent to my computer every 15 seconds. Heavy rain was the big story here with 23mm or just under 1 inch in less than 30 minutes. The tornado warning has expired for Montreal Island but a severe thunderstorm watch remains posted until midnight. I imagine that will expire shortly as well as most of the activity is off to the east. Ottawa also had heavy storms with power outages reported. According to CFRA in Ottawa, an 18 year old man is in critical condition after being struck by lightning near Vincent Massey Park during the storm.

No comments: