Thursday, January 20, 2011

CFCF turns 50 today

Don McGowan on the Pulse News weather set (remember the sliding maps).
Check out the Fahrenheit temperatures in the days before metric.

Light snow is falling in Montreal this morning from cold air settling south across the area. It will taper off by noon with some sunny breaks possible. Low pressure developing over the Midwest will push rapidly off the east coat overnight and develop into a big winter storm for Atlantic Canada and the Gaspe Coast. The storm will be well east of our region and produce only gusty north winds over the weekend. Light snow will develop tonight as it passes south of us and could produce a trace to 5cm locally. I am leaning towards the trace for Montreal with higher amounts as you head south. Arctic high pressure will then take over the weather for the weekend and into early next week with the coldest weather so far this winter. Overnight lows will fall by Saturday night to between -22C and -30C in southern Quebec and Eastern Ontario and we will struggle Saturday through Monday to reach -18C (0F) for daytime highs. Another chance for snow is possible by next Wednesday, but again the storm may be too far south or east to affect Montreal, Ottawa or Kemptville.

CFCF 12 turns 50 today
CFCF 12, our main local English language television station turns 50 years old today. For those of you who read my blog on a regular basis you will note I mention my dad often as being a big reason I love weather. It was not only his interest and encouragement, but also where we grew up, right along the St. Lawrence River in Verdun with a front seat to all the action.
Another big reason was Pulse News at 6pm on CFCF 12, now CTV News. I watched, without fail Don McGowan, every night for years on end. He was our local weathercaster with all the knowledge and insight in the world for a young viewer. In the days before the Internet and weatheradio, this was how we received weather information. Every night during the 6pm newscast I would eagerly tune in to see how much snow fell or how much was coming. I had the thrill of meeting him in November 1991 at the 405 Ogilvy Avenue studio, their home at that time. I had thoughts about TV at the time - I should have pursued radio, but ended up in the newspaper business. He gave me time from his busy schedule, and was approachable, friendly and professional. From what I hear from others, that is the crew at channel 12 in Montreal. He is a true gentleman and another reason why I love weather so much.
Happy Birthday CFCF 12!

No comments: