Monday, May 17, 2010

The 23 mile long Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel connects the Eastern Shore to Virginia Beach crossing the Chesapeake Bay where it meets the Atlantic Ocean. Just an awesome driving experience!

What a spectacular morning and weather week in southern Quebec. Temperatures are warming quickly from an overnight low of 6C to the current reading of 19C. This week will be sunny and warm as high pressure dominates the St. Lawrence Valley. A low pressure and frontal system will remain south of Ontario and Quebec. Temperatures will warm to 27C by weeks end.

I am finally back where I belong, Hatteras Island, North Carolina. This is my 11th trip down here over the last 19 years, the first since 2007. The region is part of a delicate narrow band of barrier islands extending from the Virginia border south to South Carolina. The main Outer Banks consists of three islands, Bodie, Hatteras and Ocracoke. I am on the middle island, in the Village of Hatteras just south of the famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. The banks have been shaped by wind and water, with the region rich in maritime and weather history, right up my alley. We are tangling with a stationary front these days, so scattered thunderstorms, some severe and humid with temperatures near 75F or 24C, just perfect for me. The beach was beautiful this morning, but much shorter than I remember it in 2007. Several major storms have passed off the Outer Banks in the last year causing heavy beach erosion. I will have some photos at the end of today.


No comments: