Sunday, August 03, 2008

Enough Rain Already!

My frustration with the summer of 2008 has reached the end. I just give up. I was so looking forward to the NASCAR Nationwide Series Race in Montreal this weekend and it, like many other things this year, became the victim of rain. Not only did it rain, but it was a bloody monsoon. The rain began just shortly after the green flag waved at around 3:45pm yesterday. For the first time in NASCAR history they switched to rain tires for a point paying event. They continued in the rain till it became an epic downpour and the race was called at lap 48 with Ron Fellows from Toronto winning. Quebec native Patrick Carpentier placed 2nd and Marcos Ambrose 3rd.

I sat in the pouring rain, wrapped in a green garbage bag, trying to keep the scanner and camera dry. While we were troopers, PJ and me, as were the drivers, crews and ESPN, we just had to give up when the shower turned to an Ark-like downpour. While Dorval measured 4.8mm of rain, radar estimates put the east end thunderstorm amounts from the race track north in the 30-50mm range. The rain caused flooding in the Anjou/St. Leonard area of Montreal with many homes flooded and both Highways 25 & 40 closed.

Flooding was also reported in the eastern Townships of Quebec, eastern Quebec around the Charlevoix region, and Vermont. The forecast today...rain. Unreal! Enough already.

1 comment:

Chipper said...

As I wrote in my blog history was made so enjoy it. You got to be there which is cool, though my A/V equipment remained dry and I had a few more angles to appreciate it. Never thought a weather Geek would complain about the weather, for shame!