Thursday, July 17, 2008

Storm Information

A towering thunderstorm dissipates slowly, south of Kemptville last night.

I should not have second guessed myself yesterday when I saw those storms developing over the Gatineau hills and moving south. I wanted to update my blog, but I was waiting for Environment Canada to acknowledge them, sadly they did not till 15 minutes after the storms swept Ottawa. Ironically even then they issued a watch and not a warning, despite the fact the storm was developing a history of flooding rains, hail and winds approaching 100km/h. The storms were the most intense to hit Kemptville this summer to date.
When the storms reached Kemptville, and only then, was a warning issued. Too little too late for those caught outdoors in it. My best advice, when you see dark clouds in the summer, especially like yesterdays storms, head for shelter, off the soccer field and golf course, off the water and in somewhere safe.

The lightning was spectacular for a daytime storm and allowed me to capture only my second image of lightning in all my years (SEE BELOW). I have videoed it often but it has eluded me on my camera. The storm knocked power out briefly in Kemptville and dumped 15-25mm of rain depending on which side of town you were on. It knocked down trees and power lines east of Kemptville along the 43. Over 1500 clients were without power, it is down to 135 this morning.

No comments: