Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Death toll rises from Cyclone Nargis

The death toll has soared to over 25,000 from Cyclone Nargis that swept into Burma (Mayanmar) from The Bay of Bengal over the weekend. Relief efforts are slow at best and the death toll is expected to rise. The storm struck the coastal areas with a record storm surge and fierce winds comparable to a Category 3 Hurricane. It is being compared to the Asian Tsunami with fears of over 50,000 dead. The story has been slow to reach the rest of the world, but relief is now arriving. You can help at this link: http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=000005&tid=003
Over 1 million are homeless with some in need of food, water and medical supplies.
It has been too long since my last entry and I apologize to all my readers for that. I have had to put weather on the back burner lately as other more pressing projects and challenges needed my attention. The weather in Ontario has been typical of early May. The weekends have been showery to my dismay. I have an official count going for how many weekends will be washed out from May 1 to September 30. We are 1-1 so far. Sadly I hope the trend is for more sunshine and warmer weather which appears to be trapped over the southern US. Speaking of the US, the deadly tornado season continues. A series of storms in Arkansas was responsible for numerous fatalities last week. It has been a terrible year so far with 24 deaths in Arkansas.

No comments: